Keystone XL Tar Sands Oil Pipeline (Climate/Environmental Crimeline) Delayed to 2013, Must Never be Approved
Click play to watch all the TransCanada Keystone XL Crimeline playlist videos in a row. Use the 'next' arrow (second from bottom left) to skip along as desired, or use the 'playlist' icon (first of the bottom right icons) to reveal thumbnails. Or View the full playlist in list format on our YouTube channel, seeactinspire.
To avoid election campaign turbulence, U.S. President, Barack Obama, punted the decision about whether to approve the construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline (crimeline) from Canada's tar sands in Alberta to the Gulf Coast of Texas until after the 2012 presidential election.
Other complications related to what was revealed to be a corrupt review process, the specific route, and the timing required by committed, big oil investors *could* jeopardize confidence in the 'project' (crime), and *could* have the potential to begin a global shift away from tar sands 'development' (devastation) by leaving the 'resource' (crime) without the necessary arteries to grow its distribution on the scale required to be viable -- whether to / through the U.S., or through B.C. enroute to thirsty foreign clients like China.
Here's a key speaking point used by Stephen Harper's spokesperson, Andrew MacDougall, and by Natural Resources Minister, Joe Oliver:
"...our government will continue to promote Canada, and the oil sands, as a stable, secure, and ethical source of energy for the world."
Ethical? A new video by ThoughtBubble (top) featuring excerpts from a great speech made by Naomi Klein at the August 2011, Keystone XL protests at the White House is among the best, most creative, effective, impactful and useful summaries ever made about the Stephen Harper-led CRIME against all life that is the devastation of Canadian tar sands 'development' (destruction).
The 2nd video (above) is Ms. Klein's take on the delay, the influential role the Occupy movement played that helped to increase pressure on President Obama, and the current situation/view ahead.
Selected statements, blog posts
- Post - Puncturing the pipeline, Bill McKibben, TomDispatch
- Statement - Big news: We won. You won. Bill McKibben, for TarSandsAction
- Statement - Mother Earth achieves a victory today with Obama administration decision to delay Keystone XL pipeline, IEN
- Statement - Obama administration delays decision on controversial Keystone XL pipeline, Dirty tar sands pipeline should be rejected outright, Centre for Biological Diversity
- Statement - Obama delays Keystone XL review, Friends of the Earth
- Post - The end of "business as usual" for tar sands, Gillian McEachern, Environmental Defence
- Statement - President Obama's Keystone decision means Enbridge Gateway pipeline review must include climate change impacts, Forest Ethics
- Post - President Obama sides with the "many over the money" by effectively rejecting Keystone XL Pipeline, Lorne Stockman, PriceofOil.org
- Post - Phil Radford, ED, Greenpeace USA
- Post - Victory (for now) on the Keystone XL pipeline, Keith Stewart, Greenpeace Canada
- Statement - In response to President's Keystone XL delay, Rebecca Tarbotten, RAN
- Post - State Dept. delays Keystone XL decision until 2013, Ben Jervey, DeSmogBlog.com
- Article - Stop the tar sands desrtuction - outlaw this ecocie, Polly Higgins, The Guardian
- Article - Analysis: Canada oil export hopes at risk after pipeline delay, J. Jones, Reuters
- Article - Keystone pipeline delay could kill project, Flaherty says, CBC
- Article - Flaherty talks touogh with U.S. about pipeline delay, Steven Chase, Globe and Mail
- Article - Canada defiant after U.S. oil pipeline rebuff, Ljunggren, Palmer, Jones, Reuters
- Article/Video - Ex-ambassador calls U.S. pipeline delay 'catastrophic', CBC
- Article - Keystone KL delayed, Feds to explore new routes, Tom Zeller Jr., Huffington Post
- Article - U.S. delays decision on pipeline until after election, J.M. Broder, D. Frosch, NY Times
- Article - Controversial Keystone XL pipeline project delayed, B. Campion-smith, J. Spears, Toronto Star
- Article - Keystone pipeline decision shelved until 2013, CBC
Related ecoSanity Compilations
- ecoSanity - Category: Tar Sands
- ecoSanity - Compilation: Tar Sands KILL -- Facts & Resources
- ecoSanity - Compilation: Keystone XL Pipeline, Climate & Environmental CRIMELINE!
- ecoSanity - Compilation: Ottawa Sit-in to STOP Tar Sands Devastation, Sept. 26, 2011
- ecoSanity - Compilation: 12,000 Surround White House to STOP KXL Pipeline, Nov. 6, 2011
Thought Bubble Video Featuring Naomi Klein
- Website - Video by ThoughtBubble.org
- Website - NaomiKlein.org
- Website - IENearth.org
- Website - TarSandsAction.org