On March 3rd, 2010, RAN (Rainforest Action Network) and RAN Toronto, in partnership with IEN (Indigenous Environmental Network) held a protest rally outside the RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) Annual General Shareholder's Meeting at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, Canada.
Since 2007 RBC has backed more than $16.7 billion (USD) in loans to companies operating in the tar sands—more than any other bank. Expansion of the tar sands is trampling the rights of Indigenous peoples, destroying globally significant ecosystems and significantly increasing Canada's carbon emissions.
Representatives from several First Nations impacted by tar sands expansion attended the meeting and demanded that: RBC recognize their right to Free, Prior and Informed Consent for Indigenous communities; and that all financial support for tar sands expansion be suspended.
Featured in the first video (Part 1):
Eriel Tchekwie Deranger, Tar Sands Campaigner, Rainforest Action Network
Joshua Khan Russell, Grassroots Actions Manager, Rainforest Action Network
Maryam Adrangi, Rainforest Action Network Toronto
Featured in the second video (Part 2):
ecoSanity was honoured to shoot pics and video in support of indigenous struggle at this essential protest to pressure the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) to phase out billions in negligent tar sands financing -- FAST.
Check out this incredible call out of RBC CEO, Gord Nixon, by Lionel Lepine of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation at last year's RBC AGM, Feb. 26, 2009:
- RAN Blog -- Indigenous voices challenge RBC tar sands policies at shareholder mtg
- RAN Website -- Rainforest Action Network
- RAN Campaign -- Freedom from Oil: Help RAN stop tar sands development
- RANT Fbook Group -- Rainforest Action Network Toronto -- Clean Up RBC
- IEN Website -- Indigenous Environmental Network
- IEN Campaign -- Canadian Indigenous Tar Sands Campaign
- IEN FPIC -- What is Free, Prior & Informed Consent?
- Article -- Aboriginal groups chastise RBC for oil sands role, Wall Street Journal
- Article -- Executives get grilled on oil sands lending, Toronto Star
- Article -- Confronting RBC, Toronto Media Coop
- Pics -- Collected from across Canada
- Pics -- Allan Lissner
- BlogSanity -- George Monbiot in Toronto: Canada's Obstruction/Tar Sands
- BlogSanity -- Alberta Tar Sands Compilation
- BlogSanity -- Banking Industry