It’s time to stop just worrying about climate change, says Paul Gilding. We need instead to brace for impact because global crisis is no longer avoidable. This Great Disruption started in 2008, with spiking food and oil prices and dramatic ecological changes, such as the melting ice caps. It is not simply about fossil fuels and carbon footprints. We have come to the end of Economic Growth, Version 1.0, a world economy based on consumption and waste, where we lived beyond the means of our planet’s ecosystems and resources.
The Great Disruption offers a stark and unflinching look at the challenge humanity faces-yet also a deeply optimistic message. The coming decades will see loss, suffering, and conflict as our planetary overdraft is paid; however, they will also bring out the best humanity can offer: compassion, innovation, resilience, and adaptability. Gilding tells us how to fight-and win-what he calls The One Degree War to prevent catastrophic warming of the earth, and how to start today.
The crisis represents a rare chance to replace our addiction to growth with an ethic of sustainability, and it’s already happening. It’s also an unmatched business opportunity: Old industries will collapse while new companies will literally reshape our economy. In the aftermath of the Great Disruption, we will measure "growth" in a new way. It will mean not quantity of stuff but quality and happiness of life. Yes, there is life after shopping.
- Website - PaulGilding.com
- Post - The Earth is full, Paul Gilding, Huffington Post
- Post - Will the techno optomists save the world? Paul Gilding, REnewEconomy
- Book - The Great Disruption, Paul Gilding
- Post + video - Paul Gilding on The Great Disruption, Joe Romm, Climate Progress
Related ecoSanity categories and posts
- ecoSanity - Crash course videos, Chris Martenson
- ecoSanity - Category: Consumption
- ecoSanity - Category: Growth
- ecoSanity - Compilation: Age of economic growth: Over!
- ecoSanity - Category: Numbers
- ecoSanity - Category: Peak oil
- ecoSanity - Compilation: Peak oil featuring Richard Heinberg, life after growth
- ecoSanity - Video: Essential visual summary of the limits to growth EMERGENCY we face on our finite planet RIGHT NOW
- ecoSanity - Urgent call to unite toward 'a whole different economic, trade and development model', Maude Barlow, Council of Canadians
- ecoSanity - Video: 300 yrs of fossil fuel growth in 5 mins, R. Heinberg, PCI
- ecoSanity - Category: Story of stuff
ecoSanity's most essential EMERGENCY info
- ecoSanity - Best of blogSanity: Most essential posts to date
- ecoSanity - Climate crisis compilations: Need 2 know info by topic