This statement discloses the privacy practices for the information contained in and collected through the ecoSanity.org website. Its purpose: to educate and inform the public about our goals, values and mission, and to mobilize people to take urgent action to attempt to mitigate the accelerating impacts of climate change.
Our Accountability & Protection of Your Personal Info
We endeavor to protect the privacy of our users and donors by adhering to the national standard of confidential membership processes. We only collect personal info by fair, lawful means and we do this in order to:
- Maintain a membership database
- Solicit donations and fundraise
- Organize and mobilize advocacy campaigns and activities
- Communicate with users about our efforts
Based on the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPED) created by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), ecoSanity.org is guided by the following (abbreviated) principles:
- We recognize our responsibility for all personal info under our control.
- We'll identify the purposes for which personal info will be collected at or before the time it is collected.
- We'll ensure your knowledge and consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal info and it shall be limited to the purposes we identify to you.
- We'll only use or disclose your personal info with your consent (or as required by law) for the purposes about which it was collected.
- Your personal info will be kept as complete, accurate and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it will be used.
- We'll endeavor to protect your personal info with safeguards appropriate to its sensitivity.
- Our policies and practices related to the management of your personal info will be specific, understandable and readily available to you.
- As you are entitled to question the accuracy and completeness of your info, upon request, we'll give you access to its existence, use, and disclosure in order to have it amended appropriately.
- You have the right to question the designated Privacy Officer of our organization about our compliance with the principles above.
All personal info (e-mail addresses, financial information, etc.) collected on the ecoSanity.org website is only supplied to us by the website user. Commerce functions are protected by the third party commerce server, PayPal.
Personal info is stored in our database and in hard copy files. Info stored electronically in computers is protected by password. Backup disks and paper files are locked in cabinets and only two authorized ecoSanity.org personnel have access to the secured personal details.
Online Donation Info
If you donate money online, we only request the information needed to complete the processing of that transaction. We share our users' personal information with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency or other federal agencies as required by law. We may also use the information to contact you regarding your donation.
E-mail is not encrypted and is not a secure means with which to send personal information. We encourage you to use our secured PayPal account to process online purchases or donations by contacting us for details at info@ecoSanity.org.
Online Subscription Info
We take care to regulate the frequency of our mailings. E-newsletters are only sent to users who choose to provide us with their e-mail address. To update contact information or opt out of receiving newsletters and/or e-mail, merely send a request to info@ecoSanity.org.
We will not lend or sell your info to anyone for any purpose without your permission or unless ordered by a court of law. Info submitted will only be available to the ecoSanity.org personnel who manage this information.
Interactive Online Services
Small text files stored on the user's hard drive that may help you access pages faster and would help our server to recognize you as you navigate within the site. Currently, we aren't using them. In the event we decide to in the future, this policy will be adjusted accordingly.
T/F: (416) 861-1303
And for further Info about your rights to the privacy of your personal information, contact the Privacy Commissioner at: